History of Ponderosa

Ponderosa High School History

Ponderosa High School opened its doors as the home of the Mustangs in January of 1983.  Ponderosa’s first cardinal and gold graduating class was in 1984. From the beginning to the spring of 1992, Ponderosa had grades 10, 11, and 12 with 1000 to 1100 students each year.  Douglas County was growing about 10 percent a year and was known as the fastest growing county, percentage wise, in the United States. In the spring of 1992, the first addition of 23 classrooms was added to Ponderosa.  The capacity was now 1500 students, which now included a 9th grade class.  In the summer of 1994, 13 more classrooms and the expansion of the commons was completed, and the building capacity was now 1900 students. From 1994 to 1996, Ponderosa grew to approximately 2100 students.  In 1997, Chaparral was built and became the second high school in Parker, and Ponderosa’s enrollment decreased to around 1800 students.  From 1997 to 2007, Ponderosa once again grew to over 2000 students, until Legend High School opened in 2008.  The opening of Legend once again had an impact on the enrollment at PHS, which currently stands at approximately 1375 students.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.